Saturday, November 28, 2009

on shitty background music

On a similar note to my last post, the background music that emanates from our speakers here at Page Plus seems to get worse on a daily basis. Jesus Christ on Wheat Thins.
I've heard a few Cat Stevens covers on our music loop, but this particular one made me want to literally remove my eardrums to save myself from the horror that came upon me. My brain didn't really know how to react, resulting in a feeling similar to having one's brain dragged over a cheese grater.
The song in question is one of Cat Stevens' best, "Wild World." After a little research, I found that this abortion of a song cover came from a singer by the name of Maxi Priest, a reggae fusion artist. Now, I am generally a big fan of the reggae genre; the sounds of Bob Marley and the Wailers frequently grace my home. However, this vomitous sampling of quasi-reggae pop wannabe whining is the worst bastardization of both Cat Stevens' music and reggae music itself that I have heard in all my twenty-one years.

And now that I feel I've wasted a sufficient amount of time on this rant, here are the lyrics to Cat Stevens' "Wild World."

Lalalalalala...

Now that I've lost everything to you
You say you wanna start something new
And it's breakin' my heart you're leavin'
Baby, I'm grievin'
But if you wanna leave, take good care
Hope you have a lot of nice things to wear
But then a lot of nice things turn bad out there

CHORUS:
Oh, baby, baby, it's a wild world
It's hard to get by just upon a smile
Oh, baby, baby, it's a wild world
and I'll always remember you like a child, girl

You know I've seen a lot of what the world can do
And it's breakin' my heart in two
Because I never wanna see you sad, girl
Don't be a bad girl
But if you wanna leave, take good care
Hope you make a lot of nice friends out there
But just remember there's a lot of bad and beware

CHORUS

Lalalalala....

Baby, I love you
But if you wanna leave, take good care
Hope you make a lot of nice friends out there
But just remember there's a lot of bad and beware

CHORUS (x2)

No comments:

Post a Comment